Fall First Look Forum
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
Welcome our Top 12!
- 2Morrow Mobile (Brandon Masterson) - Offers a behavior-change platform that helps people live healthier, happier, and more productive lives.
- Back on Track (Corey Fagan) - Our web-based software enables mental health providers to easily track their patients' progress over time.
- Easyway Apartments (Eli Moreno) - We make it easy to find an apartment online by using smart technology that matches renters with landlords. We are the e-harmony for renters and landlords.
- Exo Labs Inc. (Michael Baum) - We are creating digital microscopes and other peripheral devices that connect directly to iPads and iPhones.
- Flash Volunteer (Brad Wilke) - Provides web-based and movile volunteer engagement tools that allow users to easily participate in local service opportunities, while providing enterprise clients with premium engagement features to manage, measure and scale their employee and student volunteer programs.
- Geolopigs (Aaron Khoo) - Play anywhere, anytime with location-based games.
- Parent Valet Inc. (Charles E. Wright, Jr.) - Our tools help families fulfill their educational goals for their children.
- SnapSwap Inc. (Denis Kiselev) - Develops and operates the games currencies exchange, which allows players to exchange currency in one game for currency in any other game or for cash.
- Suncrest Farms (James P. Day) - Changing the Way the World Grows Food.
- SuperCritical Technologies (Brooke Macomber) - We build modular, efficient power plants.
- TalkToTheManager (Jeremy Luby) - Every customer leaves happy. Receive and respond to immediate, anonymous customer comments by text message.
- Utrip (Gilad Berenstein) - An artificial intelligence solution that helps travelers plan, purchase, manage and share the trip of their dreams in minutes.
First Look Forum: this exclusive, bi-annual, invite-only investor showcase is the culmination of an in-depth coaching program that features 12 never-seen-before, early-stage growth-oriented startups from every segment of innovation in the Pacific Northwest. In a fast-paced afternoon, the investor audience votes to select five finalists, who in turn pitch to a panel of the region's top VC's. This standing-room only event is attended by representatives of over 20 venture and investment firms and angel groups…all there to hear pitches from entrepreneurs presenting to the investment community for the very first time! Attendance at this unique event averages over 100, and the only service providers in the room are the event sponsors.
- 9/17: Top 12 announced
- 9/18 - 9/28: Second round of coaching
- 10/2 - 10/3: Individual pitch coaching from Pivotal Presentations
- 10/11: Dress rehearsal with the screening committee
- 10/16: First Look Forum
Who was there? The following firms and organizations have previously participated as either coaches or judges! Founder's Co-Op, Divergent Ventures, Voyager Capital, Glass5 LLC, Denny Hill Capital, Ignition Partners, Alliance of Angels, Revenue Loan, Montlake Capital, Integra Ventures, Madrona Venture Group, Maveron, Trilogy Partners, Olympic Venture Partners, Puget Sound Venture Club, WRF Capital, Seraph Capital, Benaroya Capital and more.
Coaches, Judges, and Pitch Doctors include:
- Connie Bourassa-Shaw, UW CIE
- Jack Breese
- Bryan Brewer, Business Plans Northwest
- Doug Brown, All Star Directories
- Bill Bryant, Draper Fisher Jurvetson
- Jeff Canin, Canin Advisors
- Chris DeVore, Founder's Co-Op
- David D'Souza
- Jack Gallagher
- Ken Glass, Glass5 LLC
- Jan Hendrickson, Denny Hill Capital
- David Isett, Concordia Coffee Systems
- John Jerome, Jerome and Associates
- Dan Kranzler
- Nick Malden
- T.A. McCann, Gist
- Connie Miller, Pivotal Presentations
- Jonathan Min-Wook
- Villette Nolon, Seraph Capital
- Alan Blickenstaff, Alliance of Angels
- Kha Dang, Perkins Coie
- Deb Hagen-Lukens, Clarity Communications Consulting
- Geir Hansen, Silicon Valley Bank
- John Jerome, Jerome and Associates
- Steve Fisher, Foster Pepper
- Daniel Rossi, Northwest Entrepreneur Network
- Russ Weed, Graham & Dunn
- Joe Whitford, Davis Wright Tremaine
First Look Forum Steering Committee:
Media Partners: Lisa M. Brandli, Principal, Moxie Communications LLC
Don't take our word for it:
"I love NWEN -- the First Look Forum was an amazing process -- it really stress-tested our business model and business plan, and forced us to get really crisp, clear and concise on exactly what we are doing and why. It's hard work, and well worth it!"
"We found our lead investor at the First Look Forum which was above and beyond what we expected and really accelerated our progress towards completing our round and launching our company."
"Lots of investor / VCs reaching out and wanting to set up meetings. I think I have 6 or 7 investment groups with meetings set up so far."
"The coaching process offered a time for deep review and having an open mind to excellent criticism from fresh informed minds."
"How NWEN got all those VCs and angels into one room is somewhat of a miracle!"
"I had a wonderful experience and I have had some exciting developments as a direct result of my participation at the First Look Forum."
Find out more from previous First Look Forum events:Spring 2012
- 220 2nd Avenue South, Seattle WA 98104